Having pure water to drink is something most of us take for granted. We turn on the faucet and voila! Clean water is ready to consume. But what happens when you are in nature, camping up in the beautiful mountains of Colorado or Idaho, and you run out of water? Well, you could drive all the way back to civilization, but you want to stay. So you purify it yourself.
Home Water Solutions in Loveland and Hayden offers whole-house water filtration systems in order to provide you with the purest drinking water possible. Let’s face it, our public water filtration methods don’t get all of the pollutants and contaminants out that can harm our health, such as heavy metals, pesticides, and parasites. You have to filter your water yourself with a home water treatment if you want to be absolutely sure your drinking water is safe and pure. In this blog post, we’ll go over the steps on how to purify your water when you’re camping. Contact us today to learn more!
5 WAYS TO PURIFY YOUR RIVER OR STREAM WATER
- Boiling. Home Water Solutions in Loveland notes that boiling is one of the easiest ways to obtain safe drinking water. All you need is a pot and fire. Water must boil at least one minute before drinking it, but at least three minutes if you’re above 6500 feet. Boiling kills all the bad bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and other nasty parasites looking to make your body home. Any organic material, such as mud, silt, or rock, won’t go away, but usually all you have to do is let the water sit, and this material falls to the bottom of your pot.
- Tablets. Many people who like to go on long hikes carry tablets with them, either iodine or chlorine. Both of these tablets will kill all of these nasty guys as well, but with chemicals instead of heat, including bacteria, viruses, and giardia. Home Water Solutions in Loveland and Hayden note that these you dissolve in water and then let it stand for at least 15 minutes before drinking.
- Water filters. Water filters are popular amongst campers as they are easy to carry along all day on hikes and are easy to use. However, Home Water Solutions cautions that water filters do not filter out viruses, only protozoa and bacteria, which could leave you susceptible to bad guys infiltrating your body. Water filters work by straining out the water, which also gets out all the mud, so your water will be nice and clean at the end.
- Water purifiers. Home Water Solutions in Loveland and Hayden notes that water purifiers are different from water filters. Water purifiers can be considered the upgrade to a water filter system. It combines both water filters and chemicals, so you get a purer water experience.
- Ultraviolet light. Ultraviolet light is usually not thought of when it comes to purifying water, but ultraviolet light at high intensity has enough radiation to kill the bacteria and other bad guys in the water. These are easy-to-use hand-held devices that don’t use chemicals, so the taste is as pure as it comes.
While all of these methods of purifying water are tried and true, it can be easy to not execute these methods properly, which can give you an infection or worse. Home Waters Solutions in Loveland and Hayden recommends that you read all of the directions to any of these devices that you purchase.
HOW HOME WATER SOLUTIONS CAN HELP
Home Water Solutions in Loveland and Hayden provides the best whole-house water treatment systems. When you need business or home water treatment, give us a call for a free water test today!